As promised, new Rusty Navigator 126.96.36.199 has been released.
The following things have been updated:
- Various Bug Fixes
- Cleaned up the draw code to omit functions that do not need updating when not in use.
- Removed some control stuffs that just didn’t need to be around anymore.
- Status bar does not show automatically anymore. You must enable it in the Map menu now.
- Mini Mode added. This adds the feature to keep the map “Always on top” and removes all bars and windows. (You can activate this by double clicking the map or in the Map menu)
- Adding points of interest now changed to right clicking on the map to add points.
- Updated the packet timing on how often the map is updated. The map will now be more responsive.
- Added Windows installer files to the setup, this was omitted in the deployment for some strange reason last release.
Please report any issues you find over on the Forums. As well, for people experiencing any graphics lagging please report this as well with your machine setup. The next step will be to push out a smaller map file to increase draw speed, however I think I will just include this in the next release. (Which will hopefully just include a new map and a fix for going off the map when you pass hacker valley.) I’m going to hopefully have the next release out by this weekend.
In the meantime, give this release a try and head over to the Downloads section.
So early this morning, working with the user “Mattsmgd” on the forum we solved a possible issue that I did not know existed with Rusty Navigator.
The problem existed on a fresh install of Windows 7 x64 and Rusty Navigator would crash upon starting, even with WinPcap installed. Apparently the WinPcap library’s that are used within Rusty Navigator to listen to packet data require a few other .dll’s to run from the Microsoft VC++ Redistributable Package. Without these, the WinPcap .dll’s cannot load at runtime and error out.
You can grab the required package here if you are experiencing this issue. I’m also going to add this to the downloads section. Most computers have this already installed, as its a common requirement for quite a bit of software out there.
A big thanks to everyone who has posted their bugs and suggestions on the Forums. I appreciate your time to let me know! It’s the only way I know to fix something. lol
I try to update this on a daily basis, just to keep you all informed of daily happenings of Rusty Navigator. I’ve decided to update the Rusty Navigator page to reflect what it actually does now, I kept updating the software and completely forget about things like the website… ha.
In terms of whats been added to Rusty Navigator itself:
- The small bug-fixes to fix some friend position sharing issues should be resolved now.
- The rusty navigator map can now be zoomed in and out with the mouse wheel. Added an option in the menu too for people who may be mouse wheel challenged.
- Forced a server IP refresh when sharing friend locations. This should fix the issue with local interfaces binding as the server IP. If it continues to be problematic, I have another approach to do this automatic detection; but this should work well in most… if not all cases.
Now I’m going to try and throw in location pinning before the Saturday release. I’m going to add a save / load function for now; however I may add the ability to share points with your friends during a friend location share… I think that would be kind of cool.
Let me know what you guys think!